I love Spring ,it's that time of year where the most beautiful flowers bloom,it's the perfect weather not to Hot or not to Cold.....But that beautiful yellow pollen OMG!!...can you say runny rose, itchy throat, and itchy eyes!!! Let's talk Pollen Allergies.......
What is it?
Pollen is one of the most common triggers of season allergies. Pollen allergy is better known as seasonal allergic rhinitis. Seasonal allergic rhinitis is associated with a group of symptoms occur when you breath,in something you are allergic to such as dust, animal dander, or pollen.
What causes it?
The actual allergy to pollen is called hay fever, which is caused when pollen is dispersed through the air.
What are some Signs and Symptoms?
Hay Fever/Seasonal Allergies Signs and Symptoms:
1. Runny nose and nasal congestion
2. Watery,itchy,red eyes (allergic conjunctivitis)
5. Itchy nose, roof of mouth or throat.
6. Swollen, blue-colored skin under the eyes (allergic shiners)
7. Postnasal drip.
What Can I Do About It?
1. Antihistamine- Reduces or stops an allergic reaction.
Holistic approach: Tumeric- limits the release of histamines in the blood reducing allergic reactions.Stinging nettle- Refer to stinging nettle post in Herbalism on 4rmsoul2vegan.com. Quercetin - is an antioxidant found naturally in onions,apples, and other produce. Bromelain- compound most commonly found in pineapples, or a supplement.
2.Decongestant- Relieves nasal congestion,swelling, and runny rose.
Holistic approach: The curcumin present in turmeric acts as a decongestant. Lemon provides extra Vitamin C. Herbal teas are amazing for congestion, such as mullein, sage,ginger,peppermint, chamomile,eucalyptus,wild thyme, and blackberry.
3. Eye decongestant- Relieves redness and irritation in the eyes.
Holistic approach: A natural eye drop
4. Anti inflammatory- Prevents or counteracts swelling(inflammation) in joints and tissues.
Holistic approach: Black Seed Oil contains thymoquinone ,which is an antioxidant and anti inflammatory. Turmeric powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger contains a substance called gingerol ,that has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Self Care- Avoid allergen staying away from triggers that can cause allergic reactions. Eating a balance diet with a lot of leafy vegetables, and fruits can reduce inflammation and mucus that causes congestion.
6. Nasal Washing- Rinsing the inside of the nose with warm salt water to flush out irritants and excess mucus. Often done using a Neti- Pot or squeeze bottle.