Edema- A condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
What causes it?
Edema - Usually of the legs,feet, and/or hands due to the accumulation of excessive fluid om the tissues. Edema that occurs in the diseases of the heart, liver, and kidneys is manly caused by salt retention.
Tips to prevent it?
1. Eat Less Salt- Salt is made of sodium and chloride, and too much can cause the body to sweat.
2. Increase your magnesium intake. Magnesium helps reduce swelling and inflammation.
3. Increase Vitamin B6- Important for the formation of red blood cells and help reduce water retention.
4. Eat more Potassium rich foods- Bananas,avocados, and tomatoes. Potassium helps to reduce water retention ,by decreasing sodium levels and increasing urine production.
1. Movement- Moving and using muscles in the part of your body affected by edema, may help pump the excess fluid back toward your heart.
2. Elevation - Hold the swollen part of your body above the level of your heart several times a day.
3. Massage- The swollen area, and pressure points to reduce swelling.
4.Compression - compression can help reduce an edema by promoting better blood flow in your legs, especially when the swelling is caused by an injury.
5. Hawthorn- Is a herb that has powerful diuretic properties that reduces swelling.
6. Dandelion- Helps in excreting water and help with sodium and water retention.
7. Juniper- This herb will stimulate activity of the kidneys so excess fluid can be released.